The house is still now, after both boy and wife have gone to bed. I have some Jazz playing via iTunes radio, a warm cup of tea (to sooth the sore throat which appeared only an hour or so ago) and a cat at my side. It is quiet enough to hear the ticking of the clock on the wall, the hum of the computers and even a opossum wandering around outside.
Often I end up watching something on the television at this time of night, YouTube, Netflix, or whatever, but tonight I just want some soft music and my own thoughts. The last few days have been a bit tiring as I wound up a remaining technology job and received a frantic call from a former client. It only served to remind me, not so gently, why I don’t want to do that work anymore. It is a reminder that spurs me forward to keep this transition moving forward and find new ways to serve my own needs while still making money.
I have 2 book projects I need to move forward, but they are languishing as I am in the difficult stage now of editing and re-writing. Writing it always so much easier. Looking critically at what you have written can leave you feeling a bit inadequate and I find I need to tackle it in short bursts — one small section at a time.
I saw another opening today for a “content creator” for a well known brand and researched it a bit. This type of position interests me, as it is a clear extension of what I am already doing for myself with my own columns, podcasts, essays and content curation. Of course, doing that work for someone else is entirely different in many ways from doing it for others, but I think I have the skills necessary. It would be interesting to do find work creating audio and video podcasts for someone, too. Perhaps then I would be able to have a small crew, or at least a camera/audio person instead of trying to do everything myself. That alone yields a jump in both quality of video and content. I can dream, can’t I? (LAUGH)
Hard to believe we are already at the end of another month of 2014. This year seems to be moving faster than other, recent years. This is probably due to the busy nature of all our lives. The three of us are headed in so many different directions on any given day, it can be hard to keep up sometimes. Still, busy us good. Busy is action. Busy is movement and most of it is even productive, which isn’t always the case. I feel my own busy-ness will start to turn into more and more business in the coming months, so I need to keep pushing, keep organizing and keep creating to make it happen.
Nightfall in Minecraft
For now, though, the still of the night is a wonderful place to find myself. I’ll finish writing this, sip my tea and settle into the tail end of the night content and warm, but thinking great thoughts.
Previously on End of the Day:
- Rain, Glorious, Rain — End of the Day for February 26, 2014
- Small Town California – End of the Day for February 25, 2014
- In sickness and in health – End of the Day for February 24, 2014
- All the world’s a stage – The Magic of Theater — End of the Day for February 23, 2014
- Self-doubt — End of the Day for February 22, 2014
- An evening out — End of the Day for February 21, 2014
- …and the days roll by — End of the Day for February 20, 2014
- You are getting sleepy — very, very sleepy… — End of the Day for February 19, 2014
- Sitting around talking — and making the world a better place, I hope — End of the Day for February 18, 2014
- Holiday over, now back to work! — End of the Day for February 17, 2014
- Take a Picture Already — End of the Day for February 16, 2014
- An “At Home” Day — End of the Day for February 15, 2014
- Truly the end of the day — End of the Day for February 14, 2014
- Grandpa Claude’s Birthday – End of the Day for February 13, 2014
- Why do we do what we do? — End of the Day for February 12, 2014
- 50! — End of the Day for February 11, 2014
- The Dad Cycle — End of the Day for February 10, 2014
- Stillness, silence and sand — End of the Day for February 9, 2014
- Parental Robots? – End of the Day for February 8, 2014
- Topics of (dis)interest – End of the Day for February 7, 2014
- Home again — End of the Day for February 6, 2014
- …but Mom, he followed me home! — End of the Day for February 5, 2014
- All parenting is ad lib – End of the Day for February 4, 2014
- A little bit of this and a little bit of nothing – End of the Day for February 3, 2014
- Was that rain on the roof? – End of the Day for February 2, 2014
- Growing up – End of the Day for February 1, 2014
- End of the Day for January 2014