Books on Hold: Meatless: More Than 200 of the Very Best Vegetarian Recipes (Martha Stewart Living)
Books on Hold is a blog series dedicated to books I have seen in passing and requested from my local library. See more in the series at the end of this blog post. — Douglas
“For anyone new to a vegetarian diet–flexitarians who adopt plans like Meatless Mondays–as well as committed vegetarians and fans of Power Foods, here is a comprehensive collection of easy, meat-free mains for everyday.
As inspiring as it is practical, Meatless features 200 recipes—each accompanied by a gorgeous photograph—for full-fledged vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. You’ll find recipes for classics and new favorites, plus plenty of low-fat, vegan, and gluten-free options, too.
More than just a cookbook, Meatless is also a roadmap to embracing a vegetable-based lifestyle. Here are dozens of versatile recipes that can be easily adapted, such as pizza with a variety of toppings, salads made from different whole grains, and pestos with unexpected flavors and ingredients. You’ll also find advice on stocking your pantry with vegetarian essentials (dried beans, pasta, herbs and spices), a collection of basic recipes and techniques (vegetable stock, tomato sauce, polenta), and make-ahead flavor-boosters (caramelized onions, roasted peppers, and quick pickles).
Comprehensive and indispensable, Meatless makes it easy to prepare flavor-packed dinners for any day, any occasion. And no one will miss the meat. “
Previously in Books on Hold:
- How to Boil An Egg by Rose Carrarini
- Dirt Candy: A Cookbook: Flavor-Forward Food from the Upstart New York City Vegetarian Restaurant by Amanda Cohen
- Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making by Alana Chernila
- To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others by Daniel Pink
- Risk Intelligence: How to Live with Uncertainty by Dylan Evans
- Harnessed: How Language and Music Mimicked Nature and Transformed Ape to Man by Mark Changizi
- The Naked Brewer: Fearless Homebrewing Tips, Tricks & Rule-breaking Recipes by Christina Perozzi, Hallie Beaune
- The Backyard Parables: Lessons on Gardening, and Life by Margaret Roach
- Pure Dessert by Alice Medrich
- The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen (Cook’s Illustrated Cookbooks)
- Martha’s American Food: A Celebration of Our Nation’s Most Treasured Dishes, from Coast to Coast by Martha Stewart
- The Layered Garden: Design Lessons for Year-Round Beauty from Brandywine Cottage
- Home Made Winter by Yvette van Boven (Author), Oof Verschuren (Photographer)
- Come In, We’re Closed: An Invitation to Staff Meals at the World’s Best Restaurants