Read This Before Our Next Meeting by Al Pittampalli
We all face deadly meetings all the time, but still we do little about it. Like most, we suffer in silence, waiting for the meeting to be over so we can get on with our “real work.” Instead of wasting all this time and energy, why not take control and make your meetings infrequent, short and useful.
From Read This Before Our Next Meeting by Al Pittampalli
One mediocre meeting after another quietly corrodes our organization, and every day we allow it to happen. Culture change occurs when a transformational idea spreads to enough people. Like a virus that makes its way from person to person, spreading exponentially faster, so can the Modern Meeting. The status quo must go. Now. Before it’s too late.
1. Meet only to support a decision that has already been made.
2. Move fast. End on schedule.
3. Limit the number of attendees.
4. Reject the unprepared.
5. Produce committed action plans.
6. Refuse to be informational. Read the memo, it’s mandatory.
7. Work with brainstorms, not against them.
CUT THIS OUT AND BRING IT TO OUR NEXT MEETING.
More 2012 Gift Guide Items:
- Do the Work by Steven Pressfield
- Bulb Planting Tools
- Blue Snowball Microphone
- Seagate Backup Plus 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive
- Logitech C920 HD Web Cam
- We Are All Weird by Seth Godin
- Sunset Western Garden Book – New Edition for 2012
- The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings
- Garden Mysteries by Anthony Eglin
- The Creative Habit/The Collaborative Habit by Twyla Tharp
- Moleskeine Journals
- Pat Welsh’s Southern California Organic Gardening (3rd Edition): Month by Month
- Podcasting for Dummies/Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies
- Wacom Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet
- Radical Careering by Sally Hogshead
- The $64 Tomato
- Blue Yeti Microphone
- BioLite CampStove/HomeStove
- Getting Things Done by David Allen
- The Curious Gardener
- Anything You Want by Derek Sivers
- GoPro HD HERO 3
- Flower Confidential by Amy Stewart
- The Starfish and the Spider by Orj Brafman and Rod A. Beckstrom
- Microphone Boom Arms
- The Information by James Gleick
- Handy Farm Devices And How To Make Them (1909)
- Zarrella’s Hierarchy of Contagiousness: The Science, Design, and Engineering of Contagious Ideas
- Apple iPhone 5
- Ignore Everybody and 39 Other Keys to Creativity by Hugh MacLeod
- Killer Ratings by Lisa Seidman
- Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It by Karen Solomon
- Zoom Portable Recorders (H1, H2, H2n, H4n)
- Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds
- My Teenager’s Favorite Games
- The Compassionate Instinct: The Science of Human Goodness
- In a Mexican Garden: courtyards, pools and open-air living rooms
- Fields of Plenty: A farmer’s journey in search of real food and the people who grow it
- Apple iPad/iPad Mini
- The Back of the Napkin by Dan Roam
- Cucina Rustica
- The Great Potato Book
- Rode Podcaster Microphone
- High-Tech Fitness Monitors
- Books by Douglas E. Welch
- Tribes by Seth Godin
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The Italian Slow Cooker cookbook
- The Adventures of Johnny Bunko: The Last Career Guide You’ll Ever Need
- Classes from The Institute of Domestic Technology
- Olympus PEN E-P1 12 MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
- Backyard Giants: The Passionate, Heartbreaking and Glorious Quest to Grow the Biggest Pumpkin Ever by Susan Warren
- Cocoon GRID-IT Organizer Packs
- Art & Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
- Podcast Solutions by Dan Klass and Michael Geoghegan
- The Craft and Business of Songwriting by John Braheny
- Dexim Visible Green Smart Charge & Sync Cable
- Wells Lamont Wet and Muddy Latex Coated Gardening Glove
- Rosanne’s Top 5 Books for Film Buffs
- Bon-Aire HN-10C Original Ultimate Hose Nozzle
- Microphones from Giant Squid Audio Labs
- Re-Imagine by Tom Peters
- Razer Gaming Mice
- Garden Hod harvest carrier
- Nest Learning Thermostat
- Aha! 10 Ways to Free Your Creative Spirit and Find Your Great Ideas
- Yes, You Can! And Freeze and Dry It, Too: The Modern Step-By-Step Guide to Preserving Food
- A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
- Fiskars 7936 PowerGear Pruner
- Chi-qoo Solar Power Pack Kit from Bootstrap Solar