Social Media Self Preservation: Taking advantage of social media without losing your mind
Using social media as part or business or personal life can seem overwhelming and fraught with pitfalls. There is a way, though, to make the best use of social media without falling into the traps of lost privacy and social media burnout.
This guide explains what you need to know as you start your journey into social media and how to make social media productive for you.
The great thing is that is doesn’t require a Kindle to read. You can get free Kindle software for nearly any device (Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, Blackberry) and read the book there.
Please share this with your friends using the email and social media icons below.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: Why Social Media?
- Chapter 1: Which social networks should you join?
- Be Found!
- Reserving your name
- A few social networks to get you started
- Chapter 2: How to decide who to include in your online community
- It is all about value
- Where to begin building your online community?
- Chapter 3: Maintaining your online community
- No longer needed
- People Change
- Too much information
- Information you can find elsewhere
- Chapter 4: What to share online
- Share your knowledge and expertise
- Share your work
- …but my work is secret!
- Share your life
- Balance in your social media sharing
Whenever we mention to people that we like to go out and shoot archery and throw axes, knives and spears, we get a lot of “That’s cool! How can I do that?” Well, here is your bi-monthly chance to join us at the Barony of Altavia’s twice monthly practice sessions at the Woodley Park Archery range. Everyone is welcome. We don’t “dress up” for practice (At larger official SCA events we dress in “garb” or period attire) If you want to throw axes and knives you must be wearing closed toe shows.
We have some loaner archery gear for you to use, too.
Interested? Join us at 1100a, this Sunday. Complete information and links below. DW
Reminder from: Altavia Yahoo! Group
Title: Archery & Thrown Weapons practice
Date: Sunday October 16, 2011
Time: 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Repeats: This event repeats every month on the third Sunday.
Location: wOODLEY pARK
Notes: Join Altavia’s Captain of Archers James Everglad and Thrown Weapons Marshal Lady Cecilia Medici for Archery and Thrown Weapons practice at Woodley Park.
The Directions to Woodly Park are at http://www.woodleyparkarchers.com/directions.html
A collection of interesting items I found in my daily reading.
- Kicking hybrids out of carpool lanes backfires, slowing traffic for all – October 10, 2011 – Hmmmm….
- 15 companies hiring for the holidays – October 10, 2011
- The Curvy Carrot » Cherry Chocolate Kisses – October 10, 2011 – Oh my! This looks like a wonderful switch on the usual peanut butter and chocolate kiss cookies I make each Christmas.
- Mangio da Sola: Crockpot Chicken and Dressing – October 10, 2011 – Looking for easy to make recipes for those nights when life gets in the way of more complicated cooking.
- Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies – October 10, 2011
- Side Dish Saturdays: Chickpeas, Bacon and Spinach (Add Your Links) – October 8, 2011
- Free Web Conferencing from LiveMinutes – October 8, 2011 – Another FREE live conferencing solution
- Apple Cider Syrup – Syrup Recipe With Cider and Brown Sugar – October 8, 2011 – Fall? Check Cider? Check. If Fall=T and Cider=T then MUST make some of this!
- River Cottage – River Cottage Community Recipes – October 8, 2011 – Looking for ways to get more veg in my diet, and this sounds like a great way to do it. I like lentils and we recently started making several curry recipes, so this one seems good to add to that mix. I might reduce the overall size of this recipe as, in the TV show, it was designed to feed an army of firemen.
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread Recipe – October 8, 2011 – Sounds good for a Fall brunch or business meeting. It is the season for pumpkin and I am seeing recipes for it everywhere.
- Orange Creamsicle Homemade Ice Cream Recipe | Domestic Pursuits – October 8, 2011 – Another ice cream recipe that came to mind, so I went searching for it
- » Blog Archive » Pumpkin Pie Smoothie – October 8, 2011 – Sounds yummy and perfect for this time of year.
- AnyMeeting, The Free Webinar Service, Launches Redesign, Six-Way Video Conferencing – October 8, 2011 – I did some testing with this site today. The overall functionality appears to work well, but the recording function seems a bit wonky. Video was there, but the audio seemed to be lost. I will contact them and see if there is a solution to that problem.
- PUMPKIN PIE FUDGE – October 7, 2011 – More fudgy goodness to try this season.
- Seeing Trees – Book Review – October 7, 2011 – This sounds like a good book to curl up with on a cold Winter’s night. I have added it to my Goodreads.com To Read list. Available on Amazon from the WelchWrite Bookstore.
- Cake Batter Ice Cream – October 7, 2011 – Now that I have an ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid mixer, these recipes are starting to show up everywhere.
- Carla Hall's Fried Apple Pancake Rings – October 7, 2011 – Sounds like a cool idea and adds a little fruit to the pancake. Worth trying at least once. I think I would have to thin out the pancake batter I use, though.
- Martha Monday: Warm Vanilla Apple Cider Recipe – October 7, 2011 – Yummy for a cold winter evening. I am sure we will find one fo these, eventually, here in Los Angeles. What a great drink to share with friends and family.
- Pin and Paper: Recycled Can Lid Plant Markers – October 6, 2011 – Cool addition to any garden, great recycling and great gifts
- HAWAII GARDENING: DIY Watering Can – October 6, 2011 – Cool and simple way to reuse a container. I have needed a more gently watering can and I think I have some of these empty bottles in the laundry. Project Time! (SMILE)
I share a lot of information every day that I find in my Internet reading and travels. You can see it all here on My Word or you can subscribe to various subsets of the information. See the links below to fine tune your WelchWrite Information Flow.
You can read these items from a standard web page or subscribe to them directly using RSS.
I have been using another, similar recipe for a while now, but wanted a recipe that allowed me to make it larger volumes. I will probably tweak this recipe to add back anything missing from my current one, now that I have some proportions to use as a guide.
I found these cute reindeer cookies while browsing Pinterest.com today. Very cool!
A collection of interesting items I found in my daily reading.
- The Cookiepedia – October 3, 2011 – Another cookbook for my “To Read” list. Always looking for cookie recipes for our annual party.
- Can mise en place make your cooking more organized? – October 3, 2011 – Great information in this book review. Adding the book to my “To Read” list
- Flip Over a Muffin Tin to Make Delicious Ready-to-Fill Cookie Bowls [Food Hacks] – October 3, 2011 – Neat little presentation to mix things up a bit.
- Quora Launches an iPhone App – September 29, 2011
- Hot Tips For Landing Jobs at Google, Apple and Facebook [INFOGRAPHIC] – October 1, 2011 – Amazing and huge infographic laying out the info. I re-blogged this to my career blogs to share it.
- happy hour: applejack rabbit – October 1, 2011 – This looks like a great cocktail for Fall. I also like the fact that unlike a lot of other recent recipes I have found, this one doesn’t require a host of expensive liqueurs or bitters. Sometimes simple is still best.
- Why is Video Hard? Five Shots and Patterns – October 1, 2011 – Never heard of this method before, but it sounds liks something that could jumpstart a lot of beginning new media people. Give it a read!
- Ten books for geeky parents – September 30, 2011
- Helicopter view of your driving directions on Google Maps – September 30, 2011 – Cool, and perhaps even useful, new viewing method for Google Maps. It is quite amazing to see how they can make use of their mapping and satellite data in such creative ways.
- 4 Ways Current Labor Trends Will Impact Your Career – September 30, 2011 – Great advice on all levels — especially the part about tech knowledge being increasingly important. I have been saying that for years and it is great to see someone else who feels the same way.
- Pumpkin Crunch Cake – September 29, 2011
- "We dont stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." – September 29, 2011 – Sending this to my Lego crazy 13 year old. He might even be able to create some kits.
- Robots Are Attacking on Street View – September 29, 2011 – Great fun use of available data and a little creativity. Create your own movie today. Unfortunately, my address seems to point to my neighbors home. Oops, sorry about that! (LAUGH)
- How People Learn About Local Communities: 5 Takeaways – September 29, 2011 – More data on why you and your business need to be engaged in social media — that is where your customer are and where they are looking for you.
- Maple Madeleines – September 28, 2011
- Portal 2 Warning Sign Coasters – September 27, 2011
- Eggy Breakfast Pizza – September 28, 2011 – PIzza for breakfast?!?! Oh yeah! This sounds tasty. I might add some sausage or bacon though. (SMILE)
- DIY Vanilla Extract . . . Works for Me Wednesday – September 28, 2011 – I have been toying with the idea of making this, but these lovely pictures might just get me moving on the idea.
- M thru F: I Enjoy Neither Managing Nor Projects – September 27, 2011 – This should NOT be you in any way. Sometimes bad examples are actually the best examples. Do everything you can to avoid this happening to you
- Watch the Great Pumpkin Grow – September 27, 2011 – Great time-lapse video of giant pumpkin bieng grown