I Like This – March 2, 2011
A collection of interesting items I found in my daily reading.
- Repairing a Cast Iron Skillet – March 1, 2011
- French Sourdough and the Greenthumb Girl – February 28, 2011
- Great Gardens of Italy: Book Review – February 27, 2011 – We are planning our 3rd trip to Sicily this summer to visit family and I am going to be paying a lot more attention to gardens on this trip, I think. I need to ask the relatives if there are some important gardens they know about in the area. I am also looking for focus on some food and wine manufacturers that might be in the area.
- Glogster – Poster Yourself | Text, Images, Music and Video – February 27, 2011 – Cool, interactive personal page designer that allows embedding of images, sounds, video, photos and text. Looks like a great place for kids to dive into some personalize pages to share with friends.
- How to Brand Your Blog’s YouTube Channel – February 27, 2011
- First look: “no editing” iPhone video editor in HighlightCam – February 26, 2011 – Hmmm, can it really do everything it says it can? Since it is free I will be checking it out and will let you know. Anything that makes assembling videos easier is a good thing for me.
- Composting goes electric – February 17, 2011
- HarperCollins to libraries: we will nuke your ebooks after 26 checkouts – February 25, 2011 – An excellent take on this issue from author Cory Doctorow.
- This Library E-Book Will Self-Destruct After 26 Check Outs – February 25, 2011 – Not really a “like” but a link to point out the ludicrous nature of this proposition. Once again, traditional media is trying to return to the “good old days” (for them) of scarcity. Real books don’t “expire” for decades and decades, why should ebooks be treated differently? it is so sad to see an industry grasping at straws instead of developing ways to make themselves profitable in this new, electronic era.
- Potato, Bacon, & Pea Curry – February 25, 2011
- Design Idea: Plant On or In your Stone Wall, Rather than Just Beneath It. – February 25, 2011
- Bacon and Potato Frittata – February 25, 2011
- Group grow the Community Container Garden – February 24, 2011 – This is great idea. Sort of like reading the same book at the same time, except you will be growing the same plants at the same time. I might have to steal this idea to do with a few of my local friends.
- KitchenAid Flex Edge Beater – February 24, 2011
- Spicy Cheese Scones – February 24, 2011
- Google Integrates Easily Filtered Recipes into Search [Recipes] – February 24, 2011 – I subscribe to a number of food blogs in Google Reader, but an enhanced recipe search will be very useful too. I am always looking for new dishes to add to my repertoire for family dinners and such.
- Netflix Has Woken Up To The Threat Of Metered Billing – Starts Taking On ISPs In The U.S. And Canada – February 23, 2011 – The same issues laid out here also directly effect individual podcasters like myself. If people’s bandwidth is metered they will simply turn off the automatic download of podcasts and other data because they won’t be able to tell how much it might end up costing them.
I have often said that the only think that could kill podcasting are bad decisions, either from the government or the ISPs. Anyone who is hoping to develop a sizable New Media audience needs to pay close attention to metered billing.